Risograph at damn fine print
As well as specialising in screen printing, at Damn Fine Print we offer a range of services in risograph printing. Our print guidelines below should give you all the information you need to set up your files for the best possible results using riso.
The Risograph process
Riso colours don't conform to any colour coding system but approximations can be seen here. We currently have ten colours for our risograph. These are:
PREPARING YOUR FILES FOR RISO
In order to print your image, we need to receive a separate file for each colour in the print. Please read the following section for more information on how this process works.
When printing photographic images in risograph, there are a number of options available to reproduce your images. As risograph does not print full-colour images, a number of different techniques are available as alternatives or experimental substitutes.
Before you send your files
This list of tips we've picked up in our time printing with RISO will help you ensure your files are ready to print without any issues. Please note, if files need to be edited after printing has begun, this will incur a cost of €15 due to added material cost.
HOW LONG DOES A PRINT JOB TAKE?
As mentioned previously in the Riso Guidelines, riso ink is soy based ink. It contains a small amount of oil and as a result, it requires some drying time between layers to assure the best possible result. Ink can smudge and transfer onto other prints if prints are not given sufficient drying time.
Below is our typical turnaround time for Risograph commissions:
- 1-2 COLOURS: Approx 1 day from when we receive the files.
- 3-4 COLOURS: Approx 2 days from when we receive the files.
- 4+ COLOURS: Approx 2-3 days from when we receive the files.
- DOUBLE SIDED PRINTING: Prints will need to dry overnight for double sided printing. Turnaround time is approx 2-4 days from when we receive the files, depending on how many colours are on each side.
- TRIMMING: If your job requires trimming we will need to allow the prints to dry overnight so that they can be trimmed the following day. An extra half day to a day will be added to the turnaround time for trimming, depending on the size of the job and how many cuts need to be made.
*Please note, turnaround time can vary based on how busy we are in the studio at the time.